A secondary suite is a separate living space created within a property originally designed to accommodate a single family. It is a private, self-contained unit that can take a number of forms including basement apartments, in-law suites, garden suites, and above-garage laneway units.
A secondary suite has its own bathroom, kitchen, living, and sleeping areas, but can share a number of features with the rest of the house. Shared facilities may include a yard, parking area, laundry and storage space, and sometimes a hallway.
Most Recent update:
On March 12th, 2018 City council will be looking at three separate pieces of work about secondary suites. They are as follows:
- to allow secondary and backyard suites as a discretionary use in R-1, R-C1 and R-C1L districts;
- To develop a policy to guide discretion and relaxations on development permit files, and,
- To make changes to the suite registry and fee schedule.
- More information available at City of Calgary website
- Submission Deadline: March 5, 2018
- Council To Debate/Vote: March 12, 2018
- Possible Motions:
1) To allow secondary and backyard suites as a discretionary use in R-1, R-C1 and R-C1L districts;
2) To develop a policy to guide discretion and relaxations on development permit files, and,
3) To make changes to the suite registry and fee schedule.
Important Dates Regarding Secondary Suites
- 2017 - Council passes several motions related to Secondary Suites
- 2017 - Plebiscite Rejected for 2017 Election
- 2016 - City Council introduces second Secondary Suite motion Motion Defeated.
- 2015 - City Council introduces motion to turn 4 Inner City Wards in Secondary Suite designated areas.