Volunteer Opportunities at RCA
Thinking of becoming a volunteer with Riverbend Community Association? Here are just a few reasons why you should volunteer:
• Meet new people and make new friends
• Experience new challenges
• Raise awareness and support on important community issues
• Develop professional networks
• Gain experience in a variety of roles
• Explore different career and job opportunities
• YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Vice President Operations – oversees the building and its security. Time commitment varies, minimum 8 hours per month. Previous experience in property management would be an asset.
Director at Large- may take on initiative of interest; supports RCA events as required; attends monthly board meetings. Time commitment varies, minimum 4 hours per month
Time commitment varies; approx. 2-4 hours per month. We are looking for someone to help with the following activities:
Seniors Program Coordinator (plan details and logistics of existing programs; liaise with seniors in the area to understand their needs; answer inquires)
Volunteer Program Coordinator (develop volunteer position descriptions, volunteer database; volunteer orientation and recognition program)
Membership Coordinator (administer membership database; liaise with local businesses to negotiate extra benefits for members; promote benefits of RCA membership; sell memberships at RCA events)
Committee Member(s): Another opportunity is to participate in a committee. We have two active committees looking for more members: Events Planning and Communications & Marketing. Time commitment includes attending regular meetings and supporting events.
Rink Volunteers: Join a group of keen volunteers and help with the maintenance of RCA skating rinks (snow removal, flooding etc.) Time commitment varies as per the weather conditions. Usually between November and February only.
IT Technical support: Help from someone who is savvy with IT would be greatly appreciated. Activities would include: set up and troubleshooting of office equipment (computers, printers, phones), support with shared drive, website, point of sale machines, etc.
We have split up the shifts to enable volunteers to work more than one station. If you are able to commit to both first shift and second shift, you'll get a bit of variety in your day, supporting different parts of the event.
SET UP (6AM -9AM)/ TAKE DOWN (12pm-UNTIL DONE)
- Help with setting up tables/ chairs and other activities for for the event
- Help with taking down equipment after the event
SHIFT 1 (9AM-10:30AM) and SHIFT 2 (10:30AM-12:00PM) VARIOUS ACTIVITIES
- Face Painting Artists - 4 per shift.
- Pancake Batter Mixers - 4-5 people, Shift 1 only. Mix batter, and deliver it to pancake cooks.
- Pancake Cooks - 6 per shift.
- Sausage Warmers - 1 - 2 per shift. Sausages are cooked at the Riverbend Station, and brought to RCA, but they need to be warmed before serving in the oven.
- Servers - 3 to 4 per shift - Serve the sausages and pancakes.
- Condiments - 1-3 per shift. Ensure that there is enough syrup, butter, and clean the tables.
- Parking Control - 2 to 3 people per shift. Ensure only vendors/displays/special guests are allowed into the parking lot
- Garbage - 1-2 people per shift. Ensure that the garbage cans are emptied and kept clean
- Water - 1-2 per shift. Walk around and make sure our guests (e.g. Police, Fire, etc.) are well hydrated by distributing bottled water.
- Runners - 2-3 per shift. Bring cooked food from the bar-b-ques to the serving station
- Support for activities stations:
- Climbing Wall - 1-2 people per shift. Work with the vendor to help with getting people to sign waivers, and hook them up to the climbing wall.
- Ponies - 5-6 people per shift. Walk the ponies around.
- Horse/Wagons - 2 people per shift - Help people get on and off the wagons.
- Bouncy castles - 1 person per bouncie per shift. Supervise while the kids play.
- Milking Station - 1 per shift. Ensuring water bucket for milking is full
- Art Show - 1 person at the beginning and the end to help with setting up art work and easels.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Stampede Breakfast
GENERAL MANAGER/ ALTERNATE GENERAL MANAGER
- Responsible for total operation of casino including gaming floor, security, cashier's cage and count room.
- Ensures a sufficient number of volunteers for each day.
- Must be present in the Casino at all times during table game operations.
- Ensures signed cheques are available to pay expenses on the beginning of the first day.
- Controls drop box keys.
- Substitutes in volunteer positions on their breaks and in unavoidable staffing emergencies.
- (General Manager/Alternate is not expected to fill staff positions under normal circumstances.)
- Should review Casino Terms and Conditions booklet before casino.
- Controls Cashier’s cage floats of chips and cash.
- Assisted by Cash Cage Advisor
- Busy only during opening, volunteer shift changes and closing of the casino.
- Keeps track of all cash/ chip transfers on Casino Tracie
- Mathematical skills helpful.
- Cashes in chips for players and makes the change.
- The cashier has an own float – does not share cash/chip float with anybody.
- This position is quite challenging and requires concentration and accuracy.
- This position not recommended for color blind volunteers.
- Good manual dexterity is helpful.
- Courier (runner) for chip orders (requests) from casino games.
- Volunteer must be prepared to move around.
- The position is usually busy at opening and closing of the casino.
- Volunteer must be able to carry up to five pounds (2 kilograms) of chips.
COUNT ROOM SUPERVISOR
- Works with Count room Advisor in recording cash counts and game wins and losses.
- Administrative skills useful, good math (number) skills are very helpful.
- Not required to handle cash.
COUNT ROOM STAFF
- Sorts amalgamate, counts and verifies all cash from table game drop boxes.
- Cash handling skills are an asset.
- Volunteers should be good working with their hands.
- Can be called upon at any time before and up to the start of the Casino in case another volunteer cannot make it
- This can be very last minute
All volunteer positions need to be filled by JUNE 26th, 2018
If you are interested in volunteering at the RCA Casino Fundraiser