-Do you have any concerns about Riverbend community?
-Do you have an new community event idea?
-Do you have a fundraising idea?
RCA Community meetings are the perfect venue to get the residents voices heard and to obtain updates about issues and projects affecting our community.
TUESDAY Feb 20, 2018 Meeting (7PM-9PM) RECAP
1. Representatives from MLA Brandy Payne (Associate Minister of Health), Ward 12 Councillor Shane Keating provided updates:
- Green Line LRT
- Councilor Keating is advocating to extend Stage 1 all the way to MacKenzie Towne station, which would benefit several surrounding communities in Ward 12
- Stage 1 funding is all in place; bidding process will be starting soon
- A report outlining what to expect in future stages of the project is due in March
- 2017 Citizen Satisfaction Survey
- Councilor Keating will be taking a tour of Ward 12 roads in May
- BRT Line updates
2. Calgary Board of Education Trustee Mike Bradshaw and Separate Board Trustee Cathie Williams also provided updates
- Discussion about recent concerns about car break ins and car prawlings -please review information on Safety & Crime Prevention page
4. Updates from Riverbend Community Association
- Events planned for 2018
- Two new committees: Events Planning and Communications
- Lots of opportunities to engage -see our Volunteer Opportunities page for more details
5. Updates from RCA Development & Planning Committee
- President of Ecco Recycling -Alec McDougall provided updates about new honey program as well as planned facility changes due to Green Line LRT project. Landfill will be closing in 2024, materials recovery facility is extended until 2037. RV storage and Wood chip facility will be removed to make space for the QP Green line LRT station.
- Sofina Chicken Processing plant is being relocated from Ramsay (under Lilydale ownership) to Dufferin North Industrial Park. New plan is built with state of the art equipment and there should not be any odour related concerns
- New South Hill Community
- River Rock Manor playground space -engaging community on ideas how to utilize this space.
- Update on Secondary Suites Council's vote on March 12th
- Changes to Shepard Landfill hours: Starting Feb. 5, 2018, the Spyhill and East Calgary sites will be open Monday - Saturday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. The Shepard site will be closed to residential and commercial traffic. Industrial waste will be accepted from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Tuesday to Friday.
- Discussed concerns about vehicles speeding while exiting Carburn Park. Discussing options on how to address this issue with the City.
- Discussed concerns about dogs running off leash in green space between Riverbend School and Bow River pathway. Please review available Responsible Pet Ownership materials.
- Riverbend School Fence Project- school is engaging the community to decorate the chain link fence- please see picture below